Anyone else ever have those days where you feel like if you don't have a cookie and a cup of tea asap you will just lose your shit - but at the same time you feel like you are doing well with your diet and you don't want to mess up your progress. (I know at this point all I want to do is grab some tequila, salt and lime and see where the night takes me - but hang in there!)
This recipe is for anyone on the keto diet or anyone who really loves almond cookies - whatever reason you are here, I'm happy to go through this with you!
Now, you might be asking what is the Keto diet - well the keto diet isn't a diet at all, I would actually call it a lifestyle choice. You see ketosis is a great way to lose weight quickly and healthy if you do it right, but as soon as you go back to your normal eating habits before you started keto - the weight will come back, so please, make sure you want to do the keto life before you start.
Ketosis is when your body stops using carbohydrates and sugar for fuel but actually uses fat instead, by doing this your body loses its body fat quicker and helps you keep healthy muscle. Keto consists of a low carb diet - consuming up to 50 grams of carbs a day - whereas normally you would consume around 325 grams. You replace the carbs with fat and fibre, I know this sounds scary but you need to remember that there are so many healthy fats out there that can be consumed, here's a few to choose from:
· Dark chocolate 70%+
· Fatty fish
· Chia seeds
· Extra virgin olive oil
· Coconuts and coconut oil
· Full fat yoghurt
A few of these will also keep you feeling fuller for longer because of the fibre it contributes to your diet(Nuts, chia seeds) - to do this you can also eat berries that are full of fibre like raspberries, strawberries and blackberries.
I think I have babbled long enough, lets get onto the COOKIES!
50g of butter
100g of almond flour
1 tablespoon of demerara sugar
50g dark chocolate 70%+
a handful of pecans *optional
a handful of pumpkin seeds *optional
1/4 tsp bicarb of soda
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
Recipe - makes 7 large cookies or 14 small cookies:
1. Preheat oven to 180c
2. Mix egg and sugar together in a bowl
3. Melt butter and mix quickly into egg mixture to avoid scrambling egg
4. Measure out almond flour, bicarb and baking soda and mix well with the wet ingredients
5. If you have choc chips measure them out and put them in, if you have a bar of dark choc get your 50g and cut the chunks to your preferred size and add to the mix along with the pecans and pumpkin seeds *Optional*
6. For large cookies use and ice cream scoop or large spoon to drop cookies onto a baking tray (Use baking paper) for smaller cookies use a teaspoon and drop the size you would like onto your tray.
7. Flatten cookies a little before popping in the oven
8. Larger cookies will need to be cooked on the middle shelf for 20-25 mins, smaller cookies will need 15-20 mins.
9. Pull your cookies out when done, grab yourself some milk or a tea, put your feet up and relax 😊 - thank you for baking with me, have a great day!
Carbs per cookie (Large) 5.2g